Friday, December 12, 2008

"And now, the time is near, and so I face...


the final wonderin" Ok. I'm no Elvis, but look how he ended up. That's not to say I'm getting the jitters, it's just that soon I will venture into the unknown. I'm sure every guy has felt this way up to the moment he asks his girl if she will marry him. I'm not religious in any sense so I don't feel I am making a covenant with God or anything. I do take the rite of marriage seriously though in that this is the person I choose to spend the rest of my life with. I've spent enough time alone to know that if a woman gets any better than 'the Gal', I will need another lifetime to experience it. Sure we have our differences, but that doesn't change the fact that I love her immeasurably. Our differences so far are small by comparison. Her offbeat sense of humour resembles my own and we usually crack each other up.

If for any reason she says 'no', I hope it is something we can discuss and work through. I hope it won't be a deal breaker for me. We are living together so that could present a challenge under the circumstances. She's been married before so she may draw upon that experience and the challenges it presented. I can respect this having myself never been married. Likely she may be more disappointed that I will propose marriage and then take off for several days to visit my family for Christmas. I'm sure it will be ok though. But enough about all that.

If all goes well, 'the Gal' and I will perform a little concert at our home on Christmas Eve. 'the Gal' really loves this time of year. She has more of a 'modern view' to decorating, but it still looks quite nice. I hung my wreath on the outside door and my Spongebob Squarepants decorations on the tree so it all balances out. I played some carols on my cello last year and it was a lot of fun and brought a new dimension to Christmas for me. I grew up with a music element around me during the holidays. We sang carols on Christmas Eve each year until we were about fourteen or so. Once the Grandchildren came onto the scene, it seemed everyone was too busy to bother. It's still mentioned from time to time each year, but no one has really carried the torch for this idea. Last year I played versions of Silent Night, and O' Come All Ye Faithful. It went very well and I believe I will do it again this year. I am looking at adding God Bless ye Merry Gentlemen and Ave Maria. The latter will be a bit tougher and it may not come to pass. 'The Gal' is learning to play O' Christmas Tree on piano as well. If she is comfortable enough to play it on Christmas Eve, I will accompany her on cello. All told, I may be too nervous to play anything. Ha, never thought of that until now!

Anyho-ho-ho...I gotta cut this short. 'the Gal' should be home shortly.


No comments: