Thursday, December 2, 2010

Filming


A few weeks ago, myself and two classmates began an assignment for TV class that would see us visiting an industry professional's workplace, and asking them questions about their job. As luck would have it, the two classmates I joined for this assignment had located a person to interview, and they were okay with me joining them for the project.

A few days before the shoot, I went to the location where we would be filming. The woman we were interviewing was Deborah Zanke. Deborah is the owner of her own business called Message Communications. She manages her business from a very spacious, contemporary home. I couldn't wait to tell my group-mates about the great location we would be shooting in.

We spent almost two hours filming our interview with Deborah and getting the required "b-roll" to fill in any gaps in the editing room. All told, we spent about five hours editing what would become a three minute, twenty-four second video. I offered to give Deborah a copy of our assignment once it was complete, and upon viewing it, she commented on how "professional" the final product looked.

I think Deborah's video is the best work I've been involved with to date, but I'm still a student so I won't let it go to my head.

As with many of our assignments, there is always room for improvement. Overall, I feel there are some particularly good shots and advice from Deborah. We really appreciated the fact that she agreed to be our subject and allowed us to shoot in her home. Thanks again.

In tomorrow's class, we are watching all the groups' work from this assignment, and getting tips from our instructor, Dean Cooper, about the good, and the bad, and sometimes ugly. :)

I was surprised about how much I enjoyed this assignment. As I sat in the editing room, I really enjoyed all the piecing together and the patchwork quality to creating a film, as short in duration as it was. I look forward to our next challenge.


2 comments:

Desiree said...

Your video is so professionally done! One of my faves :)

I can relate with what you're saying- there is definitely room for improvement and 'yes,' I enjoy filming and editing so much that I'm already thinking of seriously pursuing it after grad (and just make it as my sideline or 'serious' hobby).

Greg M. Berg said...

Thanks, Desiree. Your Siloam Mission video was very well done as well. I loved the shots of the men chopping up food, and the footage of your subject talking to the people around him at the table.

Good work all around!