Friday, July 1, 2011

It's not Science Fiction, It's Just Flash CS5


So, as I boldly prepare to begin my new career on July 11, I've been keeping myself busy with non-profit volunteer work for
The Winnipeg Humane Society and iDE Canada. I recently completed a 2'x4' banner for iDE that will be on display at Birds Hill Park during the Winnipeg Folk Festival. It's bright red with a cornucopia of images inside the outline of a treadle pump. If you're at the WFF, check it out. It turned out really well and iDE's staff appreciated the effort.

The project that I'm working on for The WHS has put me in unchartered territory (not TerriTori). As far back as last February, I offered to put together a cat spay and neuter video for the animal shelter. The Director of Communications & Public Affairs was happy to accept my offer, and she left me with an open deadline for its completion. One thing that slightly scared me about our discussion was when I asked her what type of content might be of the most help. One of the first sentences that came from her mouth was, "maybe something with a little animation."

Eek. It wasn't essential, but I like to give people what they ask for whenever possible.

Creative Communications taught me many things, but animation is not part of the program. If a student is so inclined, he or she can certainly use it in a project, but CreComm involves other essentials. But if CreComm has taught me anything, it was to be resourceful and maintain a desire to learn.

This is my first Adobe Flash CS5 effort (and I know there is better work out there), but I think The WHS will enjoy the end result. All of the more active scenes in the animation are complete, but now I am working to resolve a few "artifacting" issues that have cropped up when I export to QuickTime. As usual, the Internet has been my unfailing tutor during this experience; I couldn't have done it without you O' Knower of All Things! All I have left to compile are a few "call to action" scenes about how The WHS' Spay and Neuter Assistance Program (SNAP) is there to help cat owners.

Above is a screenshot from one of the scenes in, "Spay and Neuter Is Better Sooner." I have yet to add audio, but my music choice will be excerpts from Rossini's "The Barber of Seville." Narration will (hopefully) be supplied by my niece. Failing that, I'll offer any 9-12 year old kid ten bucks and a milkshake to read the copy whilst I record it for use in the animation. :)

When The WHS chooses a proper time to include my little nugget on its website, I'll tweet the link for you to check it out. Until then, take care, and happy Canada Day!

No comments: