Saturday, December 31, 2011

The WHS, Mary, and Me.

It's been so long since my last post (where I left off my announcement of finding a new job) that it almost feels anti-climatic. That being said, the excitement for my new job continues and I couldn't be happier.

As of November 21, I've become the Communications and Community Outreach Coordinator for The Winnipeg Humane Society. This is a role I could never have imagined for myself, as quite honestly, I didn't know the need existed. As part of the Communications department, my job is to seek out opportunities to help raise the profile of The WHS and promote its programs and services. Event planning makes up the bulk of what I currently do in an effort to get our message "out to the people." The most positive result I can achieve is to increase pet adoption and to help create a better understanding of how pets can integrate and fulfill our lives.

As with many non-profits, it's necessary to take on as much responsibility as can be handled. But when you believe in a group of people as much as I believe in the people and mission at The WHS, I know I will work hard to do whatever I can to help improve the lives of all the animals in our care. There are so many good people doing good work here I feel I can't offer anything less.

One thing I've learned about my past history of volunteering, working, and interning at The WHS is that it doesn't take long before the urge to adopt a pet becomes too much to ignore. Hence, the latest addition to Heidi's and my "fur family." Tulip was a two-month old stray kitten when she was brought into the shelter. She was brought in without litter-mates, and it's anyone's guess to who her mother is.

A house, but not a home...
Maybe it was the spirit of giving that came upon us, but Heidi and I decided one evening in early December that rather than buy a Christmas gift for each other, we would adopt a kitten. The next day, I walked through the cat condo's at the shelter and peered inside each room. If you've ever adopted a pet, you don't know which animal you will choose until you see it (they're all so damn cute to begin with). I had a good hunch which kitten we would like as soon as I looked into Tulip's room. I snapped a photo with my iPhone and messaged it to Heidi.

Someone is too sleepy to say "Hi", I texted.
Awww. Just bring her home already...Please!!! Heidi replied.

The next day I brought our pet carrier to work and I did exactly that. But I left the responsibility of renaming the kitten to Heidi. She didn't know what name she would choose, but on her drive to the shelter to pick up our little bundle, Heidi decided on a perfect name. As the kitten was a Christmas gift to us both, what could be a better name than Mary, as in "Mary" Christmas.

Mary, ready for her "close up."
On December 8, Mary joined our lives and those of our other pets: Foxy and Babe (dogs), Bob and Sophia (cats), and Jimmy (cockatiel). The dogs endure Mary's constant play mode pretty well, and Bob, our eldest cat, is teaching Mary what appears to be proper judo technique. I've already trimmed Mary's claws as she's yet to realize the pain she induces when she uses them. It's dramatically cut down on the amount of retaliation that goes on between our parent animals. All in all, Mary has been with us less than a month and it's hard to consider a life without her.

With six pets, we're pretty much at our limit and feeding time is pretty chaotic. Needless to say, Heidi and I typically feed the animals first in order to eat in relative peace.

It's our only option. The animals clearly outnumber us two to one.



Here's a few more photos of Mary I hope you'll enjoy!

What's with the flash, Jack?




















Now thatsa' lotta meatball!!
(meatball removed after photo)





















There's like, noooo Dr. Suess on this shelf...

2 comments:

Jennifer Hanson said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations on the new job and the new addition to your family!

Greg M. Berg said...

Thank, Jen! Mary is a sweetheart, but she is a total s**t-disturber as well. She was attacking Bob all afternoon today until he started biting her foot in an effort to get her to lay off a bit. The dogs just stayed out of the way.

Crazy times in the (domestic) animal kingdom. :)