Saturday, November 15, 2008

Healthy at last, healthy at last, thank God almighty I am healthy at last!


To paraphrase Dr. King, I am feeling much better this week. 'Tis the season' and I know each year I am good for a least two bouts of either the flu or common cold. Luckily I had regained enough of my health to partake in some culture this previous Monday. I had purchased symphony tickets for myself, the Gal, and her mom as a treat. Neither of them had ever been to see the symphony so I thought it was about time. Due to the caliber of performers visiting Winnipeg, it made for a perfect opportunity.

The National Arts Centre Orchestra performed in Winnipeg as part of a cross-country tour. It was a brilliant performance played to perfection by Canada's foremost classically trained musicians. The conductor Pinchas Zukerman chose two pieces by Tchaikovsky and an original piece called 'Infinite Sky with Birds', by composer Alexina Louie. Pianist Jon Kimura Parker shined as he played the Pyotr Illyich's Piano Concerto No.1. He played with such grace and intensity it was transcendent. After a standing ovation, he played a romantic Rachmaninoff prelude to end his night.

Conductor Zukerman led his group of masterful musicians through Pytor Illyich's Symphony #5 to the benefit of all those who had come to listen. The sound was so pure it was almost hard for my mind to absorb what was happening. At certain points the hair on my arms would stand up and a tingling rush came over me (I know what your thinking and you're waaaayyyy off base). I can only imagine the chemical reactions going on in order for this to happen. It was such 'innocent pleasure' it is hard to describe. After receiving their ovations, we were treated to Elgar's, 'Nimrod' from Enigma Variations. A sweeping, romantic, and thoughtful piece I am enthralled by each time I hear it.

My guests enjoyed the concert very much and we had a lively discussion about music on the ride home. Topics turned to Gershwin and how the Gal's mom had seen a movie recently about the life of George and Ira as composers. The next day I found a really neat animation set to their famous composition, 'Rhapsody In Blue'. The piece was created by Disney as part of, 'Fantasia 2000'. Brilliantly done. Check out these links if you are interested in hearing more. ( Part1 : Part2 ) Their both a little over six minutes long. If you have a spare moment, sit back with your coffee and give them a whirl.

Anyway, gotta run for now. The 'Gal' will be home soon and I can't afford to get caught writing. Can't spoil the surprise!


1 comment:

Cyn said...

Umm, where's the link Dude? You know there is a link button at the top of the screen where you write your blog!
Zen