Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Alex, I'll take capitals for $500.


I suppose it was inevitable that I post about the grade I was given today. Our class was handed back assignments that involved a pitch letter to a well-known magazine. The task was a fictional one, but we were to treat it as "the real deal" and strive for perfection. (it's pretty much the tenet of every course in this program) When I handed in the assignment a little over a week ago, I felt pretty good about it. I had struck out across the web and did considerable research, all the while making sure I sounded professional for the client I was representing.

You know there's a "but" coming, right?

I had done well, but there was one inconspicuous, yet gross, error.

I had spelled BlackBerry with one capital "B" reducing my mark to a 4/10 instead of 8/10.

I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach. I uttered the word that actress Jenny Slate was supposed to use when she made her mistake on Saturday Night Live last month. My first choice is always to go with the original, especially when I am in pain and have stubbed my toe, but I am in a classroom environment and must respect the ears of those around me.

"Fair" is not to be discussed here as the policy of making this type of mistake and the drubbing that will result has been mentioned on many occasions in several different classes. That's the rule that's been laid down and I was aware of it. What makes it more painful is that I've been burned by this mistake before in another class. Why did I not check my assignment better...

I can only chalk it up to just having to consider things I've never considered before. Small comfort if I don't put a stop to this before I find myself having plenty of time after Christmas, if you know what I mean. I'm already picturing myself as some crazy person who has post-it notes everywhere reminding me "what not to do!" so this won't happen again. Is this the answer I ask myself? Not sure about you, but I'm guessing stocks in 3M (that's a capital, right?) are pretty active when students head into the classrooms each year. Maybe we should all invest $500 each in 3M stock every August. We'd double our money just in time for the holidays. Whaddya say?

Disclaimer: all the above should be seen (mostly) as satire and is not meant to harm the reputation of any individual fictional or otherwise. They're all good people just trying to teach us to be better and make a living someday.

7 comments:

Cyn said...

The good thing about the mistakes you make in your homework is that you will never make this mistake in the work world now that you have learned your lesson! Believe me, 4/10 in college is much better than screwing up a client's name or some brand name in a project for a job! This goes for resumes as well! When you apply for a job, research the company name and the name of the person you address in your cover letter!

Greg M. Berg said...

Yeah Cyn, I know. The instructors have pointed out this reality from time to time, but when the letter grade is staring right back at you, it still sukks.

I remember the frustration you dealt with as well when you were at Douglas. Ahhh, good times, no? :)

Zach Samborski said...

It's reasonable to beat yourself up over one spelling error; I think we have all arrived at the "frustration period" of CreComm so far. October is a busy month that is moving by so fast, and any failed assignment just adds to the stress. Hopefully we will all still be sane by Christmas break!

Desiree said...

Wow! Can't imagine how many Post-It pads we'll get that's worth $500!

Well, we all learn from our mistakes. Even for me, I have to remind myself many times to double-check everything 'cause the slightest mistake can cost me a fortune--at least figuratively. We're all in this program, demanding us to be more meticulous than before and to be at least, our own best critics.

Melanie Lee Lockhart, APR said...

It WAS a very good pitch letter... don't lose sight of that in your pity party about the typo! LOL

Glenda Ollero said...

The fact is that your original mark of 8/10 is a testament that it was a good pitch. :)

Greg M. Berg said...

Yeah, I suppose I just wanted a pity party is all. :p
This blog is a good way to get out a bit of frustration, albeit professionally.