Wednesday, October 7, 2009

the bug has struck...


I wish it was the 'love bug' (that one has found me already) but no, this one is more devilish.

I've removed myself from classes today due to my poor health. The pictures above pretty much describe my transition from last week. The healthy guy is a fair bit younger than me, but I felt my energy matched his. The past several days have been a different story. My throat began to feel sore about five days ago and now this sickness is in full bloom; headache, coughs, trouble sleeping, body ache, runny fluids out the nose and throat, yeah...icky stuff.

Deciding not to attend classes is not a decision I took lightly. The program I am in provides a busy schedule. If you miss one day, you miss out on a lot of information. I spoke to a couple of my instructors about removing myself from classes and they were sympathetic. I submitted an assignment before I went home that was due today, so sure I was of my health sliding further. The other side of the coin though is if you are gone too long, you can have a difficult time making up for what was missed. Faculty recommends a person should stay home if they are not well, but a students performance in the program suffers too much if they are absent. Due to the requirements we face, I guess this is why these illnesses spread so easily at campus or any other institution for that matter. We can't afford to not be there and fall behind so much that we can't catch up. Survival of the fittest Darwin theorized! Knowing what needs to be done before the end of this week, today is hardly a holiday. I will be working on assignments to relieve any pressure I may encounter when I likely return tomorrow. I'm sick yet must perform nonetheless.

I felt really awkward being in class yesterday. I kept coughing in class and I felt like this walking vector of sickness. (apologies to those who were disturbed by this) I had to get up and leave at one point to take a swig of cough syrup in order to stop. I nearly threw up. As bad as I was, I felt I had to be there as I was part of a group that was making a presentation in PR class. When we went to present, my head was so fuzzy I did not realize that my laptop was not connected to the projector overhead. I began our presentation and had to end it ten seconds later due to the lack of a proper cable.

Oops.

We will take another swipe at this tomorrow as I've been assured by my instructor she will have the necessary cable on hand. We've researched our subject well so I am looking forward to presenting it. Health be damned!!!

p.s. Kudos to the groups that made their PR presentations! They were all well done!

4 comments:

Desiree said...

Greg, do get well! We knew all along that you were really sick. Don't worry, you'll be able to catch up--so far, you would only miss our radio and design classes. Handouts were given during radio class, and Danielle have them. We're all in this program together. What are classmates for? (sob,sob!)... :) Anyways, get as much bed rest as you can and be up on your feet tomorrow for a great day! Don't forget--drink lots of fluids (especially juices rich in Vitamin C). Oh, why should I be telling you this? You know much better and besides, your wife is surely taking care of you very well. We will see you in class, tomorrow.

Melanie Lee Lockhart, APR said...

The requisite cable and I will both be there for your presentation tomorrow - looking forward to it!

Kenton Larsen said...

Feeling better?

Greg M. Berg said...

Feeling better enough to sip a bit of the grape tonight during Thanksgiving dinner. 'Twas a rough week though.