Friday, January 22, 2010

Sick and I got the blues...


I called in sick today and removed myself from classes for the second time this week. I hate this. My body has let me down again, but it's put up a good fight I suppose. I don't know what the hell is making its way through school right now, but several of my classmates have been felled by the same bug this week and were no-shows as well.

On one of the days I was driving into the city to attend classes I was obsessing about how gross my body felt. I was beginning to feel this scourge inside my body was holding me captive from what I needed to accomplish. Suddenly a musical phrase popped into my head.

'If you ain't got your health, you ain't got nothing.'

Inside my head, I began to hear a single acoustic guitar plucking out the blues, popping out a catchy little rhythm. The sound has followed me around since that morning, so I couldn't help but try to put the tune to a few simple words characterizing my situation. It came out like this.

Rolled myself outta bed today,
Feeling wrong, far from ok
I thought, what's up with that?

Flicked the light, looked in the mirror,
My eyes beet red, lookin' real poor
I felt, I'd been hit with a bat.

I didn't feel like this ten hours before.
I hope I'll never feel this way again.
A mild sore throat I thought I could ignore.
You ain't got your health, you ain't got nothin'.

Called in sick two times this week,
All my joints ached, I heard them creak
I thought, gettin' old's a drag.

Blew my nose and was shocked to see,
All the colours staring back at me
I shivered, the stuff made me gag.

I didn't feel like this ten hours before.
I hope I'll never feel this way again.
A mild sore throat that kicked me to the floor...I tell ya,
You ain't got your health, you ain't got nothing...oh no,
You ain't got your health, you ain't got nothing.


(apologies to Chris Petty for the poor grammar, but it's the blues and that's just how it is)

1 comment:

Desiree said...

You're not alone, Greg. I was 'sick' for a couple of days 'though my immune system fought really hard. I can just imagine how my antibodies were reacting in defense of the 'unknown'. A few in our class were absent from time to time during the week-- there is really something trying to hinder the CreCommers from accomplishin what they're supposed to do. Do get well and don't let the 'blues' seep in!