Saturday, April 17, 2010

Yes, I love tech-no-lo-gy...




Ahhh, one of my many favourite scenes from Napoleon Dynamite. Today Kip's lyrics serve a sarcastic purpose for me as I haven't been in love with technology the past 24 hours. My computer spent about eight hours trying to upload my video montage to YouTube last night. After this whole process was finally complete, the video portion of the montage didn't appear. The audio came through fine, but a black screen stared back at me.

In an attempt to solve the problem, I sought the help of YouTube proper.
File Size okay? (check)
File format okay? (check)
Greg's patience okay? (somewhat)

YouTube help is set up for more simple problems and there was no mention of my black screen issue. So, my next step was to seek out the help of others more knowledgeable than myself. This being, the Internet forum. I quickly discovered I wasn't alone in my confusion and despair in not having my upload appear as I had intended. Some users even commented that videos uploaded last year suddenly had their screens go black. They were all irked and sounding testy.

One contributor named "ebbixx" seemed to know what was going on and was very helpful to everyone's questions (I hope this guy is getting paid) Apparently YouTube changed something with their coding and he was confident that its engineers were trying to solve the problem. No one has an idea when this might be sorted out.

I've noticed at least one of my classmates from RRC has managed to get around this problem. Her video "Bruises" uploaded just fine. She did a really great job too. Congrats to her and I hope she gets a good grade for her effort!

Twitvid and its plucky little bird accepted the format of my video montage. It took a couple of hours to upload, but it kept chugging away until it got the job done. Thank you Twitvid, you rock! Click the link to check out my montage, "It's A Dog's Life."

Bye for now. I'm off to study for next week's exams. One more week until freedom!

What the heck am I going to do with all my free time? Hmmmm...

Oh yeah, right. My IPP. :/

No comments: