Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grump to the Pump


Even if you don't drive a car, you've likely heard in the news about the recent spike in the price of gasoline. Due to a middle-east in turmoil (the go-to supplier and main repository of fossil-fuel energies) the price of a barrel of oil has once again topped $100. I, for one, am tired of being a passive hostage to the fluctuating cost of oil. Especially when we know as soon as its burned for energy its emissions harm our environment.

As a commuter, I know that I am part of the problem. But I am full of glee (yes, glee) about the options that are coming down the pipe from many of the world's automakers. I have never purchased a V8 vehicle in my life, nor do I feel they are even necessary for the private owner. I drive a four-cylinder, manual transmission, four-door car, and it has all the power I would ever need–probably all 90 per cent of the driving public needs, but I digress.

Electric cars are nothing new. They've been around since the late 19th century. But as soon as gasoline was used to propel us through the 20th century, the technology was virtually shelved. General Motors' EV1 received customer and critical acclaim in the late 1990's, but due to a promotion campaign that confused people, sales for the car never took off, and the cars were reduced to shrapnel.

Now in 2011, electric cars are making the news in full force. It's been a long time coming. A plethora of manufacturers are developing plug-in electric cars. See it for yourself once you begin to search around. Well-known automakers such as Ford, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda are getting into the EV (electric vehicle) game. Lesser-known manufacturers such as Zenn, Coda, Li-ion, Tesla, and Flybo-EV, among a slew of others (I'm sure) have finally "got it" and are preparing themselves for the coming new-world-order in personal transportation.

My four-cylinder car is only six years old, and it still has plenty of life. But as relatively economical as this car is, I know it is the last gasoline-powered vehicle I will ever buy. As excited as I was to buy it in 2005 (my first new car), I am far more excited for the EV car I will purchase in the coming years.

Oil is a finite resource that IS polluting our environment, I hope many people feel the same way and embrace this new technology once it hits the showroom floor.

No comments: