Monday, April 9, 2012

Mistakes Were Made...

I like a project, particularly one that involves woodworking. So, I couldn't resist when a friend of mine asked me to take a look at his guitar to see if it could be fixed.

Seems he got a bit creative and wanted to give one of his guitars a new look. As you can see here, it ended up badly. The guitar is an electric acoustic Kramer that used to be white. Before this happened, I had played it a few times. It's a decent little guitar.

I can't shake the feeling like I'm a doctor hovering over a patient with a defibrillator, not quite sure if my next move will bring the patient back to life.

I'll post images of my work along the way as I prepare the neck and body for a new finish. I'm already recommending a return to white with a smart black pinstripe around the edges. Purfling is out of the question as it's not worth the time and expense; some areas of the body are ground down to such an extent it would be very difficult to carve a groove.

But I like a challenge. It's a great opportunity to learn something new. 

No comments: