Tuesday, April 3, 2012

On Writing

I consider myself a professional intermediate good writer. But Maybe I'm a better writer than I think because most people I know say I'm too modest.

But this isn't about me. It's about writing and personal deadlines.

One thing is for sure, If you're a writer, your readers will enjoy less headaches if you stick to follow three simple rules:

1. Stay clear - Stick to one idea, finish it, and move on. If your point wanders, that is what your reader's mind is doing. How long will you keep his attention?

2. Be concise - Less words = more time your reader has for things far more productive. Like maybe their own writing. Extra words are indicated by strikethroughs on editors' desks or the, "red pen of discourage."

3. Don't over think - By over-analyzing, you are prone to fall into the errors of points 1 and 2.

A fourth point could be this: proofread, proofread, proofread again. This never fails to point out the silly errors you can't believe were missed.

This can be a humbling experience, but it will make you a far better writer.



Note: No words or egos were harmed in the application of these strikethroughs.



No comments: