Friday, September 11, 2009

How much is that doggy on the rooftop?


I have to say right off the top that the photo I took on the right played a big part in deciding the subject of this blog. From my first day it became the thing to remember of my RRC tour given by second year Cre-Comm students. It was a curiousity I couldn't forget.

How in the world, or at least in Winnipeg, did this poor toy end up on an exchange district rooftop? He looks at least a metre long, but I think he's larger than that. This photo was taken from a distance and for the record, I have no idea how long he's been up there.

I took a walk around the neighborhood and discovered that Rusty, I shall call him, sits atop Little Saigon restaurant. I've pointed him out to classmates and we've shared a laugh over it. If you don't know what I'm talking about, he's best seen from the third floor in most "W" classrooms. It's a bit of a departure from where toys like him are usually found.

I can't help but consider the back-story that went behind Rusty being up there. Was he stolen and the thief on the run needed to stash his goods? Was there an argument between two children and the parent chose to chuck Rusty rather than listen to constant fighting? There's only one person who knows for sure and that's the one who threw him up on the roof. You can't forget something that big so I guess Rusty became expendable. In the very least he must have been a prize. I can't imagine Rusty was cheap to buy.

Too funny in my opinion. It leaves much fodder for my imagination.

My wife came home from her trip to New York on Sunday. She was away for seven days and I was very happy to see her arrive home safe. She happened to be there on the eighth anniversary of the September 11th attacks which made me feel edgy. She is always good to me and brought back many goodies like: chocolate covered pretzels, movies, NY t-shirts, President Obama t-shirt with coffee mug, and a very cool Movado-ish watch. I provided a clean home, happy dogs, and a dozen roses on her return when she walked in the door.

Since I was young there was always tension when traveling to the U.S : buying extra health insurance, crossing the border, talking to grumpy border guards, keeping track of receipts. I have to say the feeling has never left me. I guess it's the whole 'foreign soil' thing and the perception that many people there are armed. I don't personally know anyone who's had trouble while visiting there, but I know it happens. Just follow those basic rules we all know by now and you're likely to always stay out of trouble.

I guess being somewhere other than home can be awkward to begin with.

7 comments:

Glenda Ollero said...

I think it's an elephant. :P

Jeff Ward said...

First off I think it's a moose.

Secondly I think that we should all now call it Rusty and have it as a class mascot. I'm always excited to see if it's there everyday. I honestly wish I had thought to write about this.
Well played sir

Adam Smitzniuk said...

I love the idea of it as a mascot! that's excellent!

On another note, I can definately sympathise with your feelings of crossing the border, but really, the states is not all that different than here. Other than lower prices, what is the point of going? There is so much to see in good ol' Manitoba.

Alexa said...

OH MY GODDDD!
That stupid stupid stuffed thing has been driving me crazy from day one as well!!!!!
It will be Rusty in my mind now haha so well done.
And I at least definitely agree with you on the not so fond of the U.S. border thing... however oddly enough it has always been harder for me to get back into Canada..

Glenda Ollero said...

Ok, a moose sounds possible. Definite yes on the class mascot idea.

Miguel said...

Hmm, is it an elephant or a warthog? Either way, it looks like Greg will be rescuing the stuffed animal since the public voted mostly to rescue it. Put me down for one “dolla” in the stuffed animal pool that you are starting up.

Greg M. Berg said...

Who said anything about "me" getting it off the roof? I gave away my nighttime stealth clothes many years ago. Besides, Rusty's probably all full of insects and covered with bird crap by now... :)