Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I've gone and done it!

Well everyone, this is it. I am now part of the student body at Red River College, Princess Street seen at the right. It is a beautiful campus and it will be my second home for the next two years. I'm into my second week of classes and its been great. I am looking forward to the challenges a first year Cre-Comm student faces. (note to self: remember this statement when floored by sheer volume of assignments)

I'm finding my way around campus much better now. I've met several helpful people along my travels when I've lost my way. My best rule: always look for signs (not 'Signs', M. Night Shyamalan). Whenever I start to feel wary about my direction (pop!), one of those directional signs on the wall never seems to be far away.

One of my favourite places other than the on campus Tim Hortons (minus the line ups), is the atrium. What appears to have acted as a back alley for many decades in the early 1900's, is now a glass roof vertical space that connects the William and Adelaide buildings to the Princess building. Corbett Cibinel Architects (now known simply as Cibinal Architects) were responsible for the design and implementation, determining which parts of the structure could be removed. The facades were an important feature and needed to remain intact. It was one of several design requests along with preserving the original trading floor and many window openings. There's more pieces of history on campus like doors to safes, wooden crate ends (mounted as artwork), and the third floor Heritage room of the Princess building. I like the items the campus has salvaged and enjoy seeking them out when I have a moment between classes.

The actual question of what my blog would contain was more difficult than I thought. What subjects are left, really? Some answers are simply found when your not dwelling on them. Like anyone, I want my blog to be unique in its own way. I've set up a YouTube video box on the side for visitors to have an idea of my taste in music. I'll try and change it up from time to time. If you hear something there you like or want to know more about it, let me know. I've actually retooled this blog from an earlier time. Before my wedding last Fall, I began blogging in an effort to notify friends of my pending engagement. Feel free to read these posts as well if you so choose.

I went into this project with an earlier idea, but today it took a turn. While this post is meant for introductory purposes, after today a theme takes over. It may be risky, but I think it could be interesting. To some extent I will always include events in my life, but the recurring theme will be (drum roll please)...

juxtaposition. to place something closely alongside another for contrasting effect. The picture of Princess Street campus at the beginning of this post is a good example of juxtaposition. The integration of historic and modern architecture is striking and deserves many accolades.

Stay tuned. This could be fun.

(church/skyscraper photo attribute: Michael Fenichel 2008)

2 comments:

Kenton Larsen said...

Great start to the blog - love the dogs!

Greg M. Berg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.