Tuesday, September 28, 2010

So, what's so great about The Event?


Even though I'm considered a target market, I still feel I'm a tough nut to sell. Every once in a while though I wait with anticipation (not "Glee") when a television program makes a decent attempt to get my attention. So it was with said expectation that I parked myself on the couch to watch, wait for it (feigned suspense), The Event.

The Event had all the good trademarks of a television premiere; commercial build-up, suspense, secrecy, mystery, believable characters, extra-terrestrials, but it feels too familiar. From what I've seen so far, The Event is Lost meets the X-Files. Should I feel guilty that I'm not impressed? Many consider imitation as the highest form of flattery, but I think NBC may have bought into a self-flattering dud. It's too bad, I like Jason Ritter's character, Sean Walker. The fact that Ritter's real-life dad was none other than Jack Tripper helps a lot too.

It may be too early for me to make a prognosis, but I have a nagging feeling The Event will prove "uneventful." I may not be alone in my prediction. According to Media Life Magazine, ratings for The Event fell off considerably after its second episode, down 19 per cent from its premiere. To top it off, rumour has it that NBC has a script long enough to run five seasons of The Event.

That's a shame.

The show's production values look pretty well done, so The Event couldn't have been cheap to produce. Any decision made by NBC I'm sure will be quick like a guillotine if this show doesn't improve and fast. Maybe they can air The Cape. Until writing this post, I had not heard about this show at all, but I have to say it looks ultra-cool. We could use a prime-time Batman, no?

So, what might the future hold for The Event? Only the network execs can say for sure, but I think their event needs a phenomenon.

2 comments:

Melanie Lee Lockhart, APR said...

I watched the season opener, but didn't come back this week. It has some potential, but it wasn't enough to break onto my must-see list!

I like Jason Ritter too - he was on a show called Joan of Arcadia a few years ago that I thought was pretty smart.

Kenton Larsen said...

I'm loving Boardwalk Empire - but I don't think I have room for any more shows!