Sunday, January 9, 2011

On the Business of Saving Animals

Tomorrow morning I start my second week of work placement with The Winnipeg Humane Society. I'm feeling much better going into this week than last Tuesday – literally, I was getting over the last gasps of a cold/flu that had anyone standing within twenty feet think I was losing a lung. It was amazing how much better I felt by Friday and how much easier I was able to compile my thoughts and not have them sneezed away. Ahhh, memories...

Having worked in such a hands-on capacity last summer in Animal Intake at The WHS, and now finding myself assisting with Administration, I can see the role that synergy plays in order for these two areas to properly function. There are constant fluctuations in how the public perceives (and uses) this organization, and in order for it all to operate as neatly as possible, internal communication is essential.

And then there's the pride.

From my own observations and witnessing their actions, the members of this organization do their utmost to enrich the lives of the animals who are in their care. I am very honoured to be working alongside such caring, compassionate, and selfless individuals. My only hope is that I will create an initiative in the coming days that will give their "temporary tenants" something that is fondly referred to;

A forever home.


No comments: