Sunday, January 23, 2011

Three Brisk Weeks

At 4:30 p.m. last Friday, I closed my notebook, laptop, and logged off the desktop terminal to mark the end of my three weeks of internship at The Winnipeg Humane Society. I spent my morning doing a last proof on the campaign plans I had created, organizing my work files I would leave behind, and building a PowerPoint presentation for its AGM. I departed with the impression that my work was very appreciated and that some of my ideas would be considered for implementation. The three weeks I had to work alongside the people in its communications department went by too fast, but in that short period of time I learned a lot.

This was my first real-world office experience. My previous occupation three years ago was limited to the world of manufacturing. I really enjoyed the professionalism of the office atmosphere. I've heard others say in the past that some offices can be stuffy, but The WHS was not one of them–which is good for me as I always try to lighten the mood wherever I go. The staff always greeted me with a smile and on occasion, asked how I was doing. A very nice, sincere group of people indeed. It also helps when a dog trots over for a pat and wags his tail beside you with her big, toothy grin, or the "office cat" head-butts your palm as you reach down to pet him on your way to the washroom.

Very "warm, fuzzy feeling" kinda stuff.

To show her appreciation for my time, my boss for the duration, Aileen White, treated me to lunch along with her uber-capable assistant Jenelle Petrinchuk. These two women are a great team and are part of an excellent core of people at The WHS. I learned a lot while I watched them collaborate on ideas, and I gained a lot of respect for the amount of responsibility and work they accomplish. In turn, they appreciated my contributions, and I hope my work encourages adoption from its shelter. I thank both Aileen and Jenelle in guiding me through my brief time with them. I hope we keep in touch.

I also wish The WHS and its many helping hands great success in the future. The WHS is an organization I sincerely wish to help in some way once my professional career begins.

No comments: