Monday, January 3, 2011

This Ain't Your Neighbour's Lada...


I grew up in a small town surrounded by GM's, Ford's, and Chevrolet's. My bowling instructor drove a Lada. Even though the Lada was never considered the epitome of fine automobiles, the car still had a high level of interest for me. At the age of thirteen, I was easily impressed by its heated side mirrors and tiny wiper blades on the headlights. The car looked like a toy, and I secretly wanted to own one.

With maturity, common sense prevailed and I drifted from my daydream of owning "Russia's auto" as I took to driving several domestic cars throughout my adulthood. But who knew that a Russian automaker was secretly building a super-car that would re-ignite my childhood interest.

Enter Marussia, an automaker that can claim the title of Russia's first sports car manufacturer. It's B1 and B2 models easily compete with the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini, and its curb appeal as they might say in the auto business is, "sexy". The car looks like it just rolled off of a racetrack or the set of a James Bond film.

Marussia has recently partnered with Richard Branson's Virgin Racing which will likely see an exchange of expertise and increase Virgin's image of good associative branding. Formula 1 is an incredibly tough circuit to break into, so I am interested to see how well Virgin and Marussia perform together in the 2011 F1 racing season.

Unfortunately, compared to the Marussia, only the Lada is within my price range.

Dare to dream.


2 comments:

Duncan McMonagle said...

Great title for an autobiography:
My bowling instructor drove a Lada

Greg M. Berg said...

Ha! It was a red Lada though, so it looked kind of sporty.