Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My "soon to be" novel


In a few short weeks I will present my Independent Professional Project that I have been working on for nearly the past twelve months. Back in March 2010, the students in the program I am attending all had to propose a project that would be professional material upon its completion, and something that would stand out as being a major body of work.

I chose to write the novel you see above. This is just one design I've toyed around with as I have yet to shop it around to a publisher. In the material world, it is yet to exist. But in the next 48 hours, my novel will be a finished story from beginning to end. This is a very exciting thing for me to say becuase I had my doubts at times that I would be able to finish the writing. I kept a separate blog that was associated with OurGlass as well. You can read it here.

There is still work to be done that will carry this project past my graduation (publisher, feedback, potential agent), but I don't mind this reality. It's an opportunity to claim my position as an author. I'm not about to put this amount of effort into a novel and then let it sit on a shelf. I'm going to press ahead and make it happen.

I like writing. Period. If OurGlass doesn't sell, that's fine. There are other ideas that I've had to set aside while I've been in college. The world of publishing is a harsh mistress. That's why I have so much respect for authors who have a book in print. I have a small idea of what it took to get there. It's a long path that's filled with sacrifices. But in the end, you just hope that a few people genuinely like your work.

If I've worked hard and tried my best, that's not too much to ask for.

2 comments:

Amanda Hope said...

Congratulations Greg! This is so exciting!

Cyn said...

Can't wait to see and read the final published book!