Friday, April 29, 2011

And now, the end is near...


For the past three weeks, I’ve had the good fortune of interning at a branding agency in Winnipeg called, Blacksheep Strategy. I first heard of Blacksheep through my wife. Her coworker has a close friend who works at the agency, and to her, it sounded like a very good environment for me to share in. Once I did a little research into Blacksheep, I had to agree, and my advisor, Kenton Larsen, arranged the placement for me.

Blacksheep Strategy works in an interesting environment. A separate asset within these walls is the agency, Coupland Jeffrey. Coupland Jeffrey, “is the only national advertising agency in Canada focused exclusively on agriculture.” The two principals, Derrick Coupland and Russell Jeffrey, run a very friendly environment for their employees to work in. They’ve found a great group of people to meet their stated goal of helping their clients, "solve their branding problems." I've really enjoyed my time with them, and I hope I made a helpful contribution in Blacksheep's day-to-day activities. I've assisted in projects with large companies such as Monsanto, DEKALB, and Viterra. I was fascinated with what I learned in the research about these companies and how they represent their products. Their similar mission of increasing the quality and quantity of the world's food supply is admirable, and the science that is involved in much of this is simply amazing.

Today marks the end of my internship with the people at Blacksheep, but it also represents the final checkmark to my college curriculum. It’s hard to believe that two years have come and gone and that in a few weeks I will hold my college diploma in my hands. It has been tough going at times, but with the support of the people around me – family, friends, and peers – I was able to meet my academic and personal goals.

I am excited for what my future will bring and the people in my life with which I will share it.


No comments: